District 504 Coordinator

Contact Deannah Rae


77 Ramsdell Lane
Barrington, NH 03825
(603) 664-2715


Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

The following is a description of the rights granted by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (“Section 504”) to parents and their children who are identified as disabled. The school district is obligated to inform you of decision about your child and of your rights if you disagree with any of those decisions.

You have the following rights:

1. To have your child take part in, and receive benefits from, public education programs without discrimination because of her/his disability;

2. To have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law;

3. To receive notice from the school with respect to the identification, evaluation, educational program, or placement of your child;

4. According to the Department of Education's 504 regulations, to have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to reasonable accommodations, modifications, and related aids and services necessary for your child to benefit form her or his educational program.

5. To have your child educated in comparable facilities and receive comparable services to those provided non-disabled students;

6. To have decisions regarding your child's evaluation, program and placement based upon a variety of information sources, and made by persons familiar with the student, the evaluation data, and the placement options;

7. To have your child reevaluated periodically, to the extent necessary, including before any significant changes are made to your child's educational program or placement;

8. To have your child receive an equal opportunity to participate in extra-curricular school activities;

9. To examine all relevant educational records relating to decisions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, education program and placement;

10. To obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records;

11. To receive a response from the school district to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's records;

12. To request amendment of your child's educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school district refuses this request for amendment, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of the right to a hearing;

13. To file a grievance through local grievance procedures regarding any alleged violation of the Rehabilitation Act;

14. To request an impartial hearing, to be conducted by a person who is not an employee of the district, to dispute decisions or actions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, educational program or placement as a student with a disability. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you at your expense. Questions about how to request a hearing may be forwarded to the person responsible for the district's compliance with Section 504 listed below;

15. To have the decisions made by hearing officers or others reviewed in state or federal court;

The Section 504 Coordinator responsible for assuring that SAU #74 complies with the aforementioned procedures is located at (603) 664-2715.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.